Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo: Faces and Stories

It has been a year since Ebola erupted in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Around 2500 people have been infected with the virus since then, more than 1600 have died. This Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is the second largest in history. 


ebola

02.08.2019


The health workers are faced with an almost impossible task to contain the virus. In many communities and regions, they face mistrust and violence. Every day, they risk their lives by traveling to areas controlled by armed groups to care for the sick and educate them about protection from infection.

Educational work is urgently needed because children interviewed said, for example, that they first thought that Ebola would be transmitted by the health workers who vaccinate people. This fear and the associated absence of health facilities further encourages the spread of the disease. 
 

Ebola leaves orphans and destroys thousands of lives

Heather Kerr, Country Director of Save the Children in the Democratic Republic of Congo, says: "A year after the outbreak of the virus, there is still no end in sight to the epidemic. Ebola has killed hundreds of children and orphaned many. Thousands of lives have been destroyed."
 

Faces and stories of survivors and health workers

August 1 marked the anniversary of the second worst Ebola outbreak in the history of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Photographer Hugh Kinsella Cunningham travelled to Beni in the east of the country and visited two Save the Children-supported health facilities. The powerful images they produced tell the stories of the survivors of the outbreak and those of the health workers who risk their lives every day to prevent the further spread of this terrible disease.

Pictures and moving stories can be found here.